WKU Archives’ newest acquisition is this 1884-85 catalog for the Southern Normal School & Business College. The front cover looks a bit waterlogged, but the interior is in excellent condition.
The Southern Normal School was created when A.W. Mell and Tom Williams left the Glasgow Normal School and moved to Bowling Green. It was originally called the Southern Normal School & Business College, but in the 1886 charter the name was changed to Southern Normal School. From 1890-1892 the school went through a succession of management changes being overseen by H.A. Evans, W.J. Davis, J.R. Alexander and H. McD. Fletcher. It came into the hands of Henry Cherry and his brother Thomas in 1892 with yet another name change. Continue reading