On June 5, 1961, the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW) authorized 44 local African-American veterans to establish John Hicks Post No. 1682 in Bowling Green. The authorizing certificate, with the veterans’ names inscribed thereon, was recently donated to WKU’s Special Collections Library by Mr. Mike Glenn.
John Hicks Post No. 1682 was located at 519 East 2nd St., and its commanders included Welmon Britt, Jr., Jesse Cook, James Carr and Sam Boyington. The post appears to have been active until 1985.
A finding aid for this welcome addition to our collections documenting African-American history can be downloaded here.