The Commons at Cravens officially opened Thursday, January 31, with a crowd of more than 200 faculty, staff, students, and community members. Dean Connie Foster officially welcomed the crowd followed by remarks from Provost Gordon Emslie, President Gary A. Ransdell, and graduate student Mark Reeves. The newly renovated Cravens 4th floor space offers a single service desk for research assistance, technology support, and writing center tutoring—all conveniently located across from Circulation Services. Patrons are enjoying the new computer lab access, bistro style chairs overlooking the campus, and the modern chairs and bench tables for both collaborative projects and individual study. For more information about services available at The Commons at Cravens, call 745-6125.
Daily Archives: February 2, 2013
This month’s book display comes to us from the age of romanticism and mysticism, England’s Victorian Period. The Victorian period, named after Queen Victoria , consists of the years of her reign, from 1827 to 1901. Supplementing the books on display are books on the Gilded Age, in America, which ran concurrent to the latter half of the Victorian era. Despite its reputation for being stodgy and stuffy (in line with Queen Victoria’s own strict personal morality), the Victorian era was actually a period that valued emotion, particularly in artistic and literary works.
Books on Display
- Encyclopedia of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era / edited by John D. Buenker and Joseph Buenker. E661 .E53 2005 (1 of 3 Volumes)
- Kings, queens, bones, and bastards : who’s who in the English monarchy from Egbert to Elizabeth II / David Hilliam. DA28.1 .H55 1998
- Encyclopedia of the romantic era, 1760-1850 / Christopher John Murray, general editor. NX452.5.R64 E53 2004 (1 of 2 Volumes)
- Historical dictionary of the Gilded Age / T. Adams Upchurch. E661 .U66 2009
- The Brontës A to Z : the essential reference to their lives and work / Lisa Paddock and Carl Rollyson. PR4168 .P28 2003
- A companion to Charles Dickens / edited by David Paroissien. PR4588 .C636 2011
- Cambridge companion to Victorian culture / edited by Francis O’Gorman. DA533 .C36 2010
- The Gilded Age / Judith Freeman Clark. E661 .C575 2006
- The Cambridge companion to English literature, 1740 to 1830 / edited by Thomas Keymer and Jon Mee. PR441 .C36 2004
- Victorian Britain : an encyclopedia / Sally Mitchell, editor; Michael J. Herr, editorial and research assistant ; advisory editors Josef L. Altholz . . . [et al.] DA550 .V53 1988