Historian Ron Fritze, Dean of Arts & Sciences at Athens States University, was the featured speaker in WKU Libraries’ April Far Away Places series on Thursday, April 13, 2017 at Barnes & Noble Bookstore, Bowling Green, KY. Fritze talked about his newest book Egyptomania: A History of Fascination, Obsession and Fantasy, which, being the 11th of his books, has been drawing international attention.
Daily Archives: March 17, 2017
Far Away Places presents Ronald Fritze and “Egyptomania: A History of Fascination, Obsession, and Fantasy”
The Kentucky Library Research Collections currently has a display featuring early children’s readers. William Holmes McGuffey (1800-1873) was a U.S. educator who is best remembered for his series of elementary school reading books called McGuffey Readers. McGuffey was a graduate of Washington College in 1826. He began teaching in Ohio frontier schools at the age of 14. During breaks from college studies in Pennsylvania, McGuffey taught elementary school in Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky. In 1823, McGuffey set up a school in the dining room of Reverend John McFarland, a Presbyterian minister, where he taught for three years. During his 10 years as a faculty member at Miami University, McGuffey took interest in public education and began assisting teachers at local elementary schools. He also established a model school in his home for the neighborhood children.
Experts estimate that at least 120 million McGuffey Readers were sold between the years of 1836 and 1960. The sales of the Readers are in a category with the Bible and Webster’s Dictionary. Since 1961, McGuffey Readers have sold at a rate of some 30,000 copies a year. The readers are still in use today at some schools and by parents who homeschool their children.
The Department of Library Special Collections recently purchased a rare collection (Small Collection 3093) of documents related to the operation of the Western Lunatic Asylum (now Western State Hospital) in the mid- to late-nineteenth century. The sixty-five items in the grouping includes contracts for food, coal and linens, as well as contracts for building projects, inventories, and several fascinating documents related to a devastating 1860 fire.
The Asylum was established in Hopkinsville by an act of the General Assembly on 28 February 28, 1848. Hopkinsville citizens raised $4,000 to help fund the hospital. N.B. Kelley, a Cincinnati architect, designed the first
major Greek Revival building on the Hopkinsville campus. Master builders Samuel L. Slater and John Orr carried out Kelly’s design, and the institution opened on 18 September 1854 with twenty-nine patients. A chimney fire ignited the wood shingle roof, and the facility’s chief building burned on 30 November 1860. The staff helped find housing for the patients in the Christian County courthouse, a hotel, and private homes, while twenty-three log cabins were constructed on the grounds. Reconstruction took six years at a cost of $258,900.
The Library’s new collection includes a printed broadside in the form of a letter written by the institution’s managers to then Governor Beriah Magoffin. The letter was printed, because it was likely also disseminated to members of the General Assembly and other interested parties. After making the governor aware of “the lamentable disaster,” the managers reported: “Every possible effort in now being made to recover and bring in those who fled from the scene of the disaster, and they are being brought in as rapidly as could be expected.” “It is
feared,” they added, “that one of the unfortunate patients (later identified as Isaac Stewart of Butler County) was consumed in the flames.” The managers extolled the “self-sacrificing” tasks performed by the staff in saving the patients. A good portion of the collection includes contracts and other data related to the reconstruction project, such as an agreement made between the institution and Samuel L. Slater under which the aforesaid agreed to perform “all the carpenters and joiners work, to complete the west front and western return wings of the Western Lunatic Asylum building” which included “all flooring, doors, door frames, window sash, casings [and]…mouldings.” For his work, Slater would receive $4,050.