WKU Libraries Blog

News and events from WKU Libraries

WKU Libraries Blog - News and events from WKU Libraries

Athletic Photos

Athletic Photos

Athletic Photos

have arrived.  There are approximately 350 cd-roms holding an average of 75 images per cd.

We are working our way through them noting individual athletes who played football, soccer, basketball and baseball.  There are also athletic logos included in the files.

Many of the images are not identified.  These will eventually work there way onto KenCat our online database where we will request assistance in identifying people.

WKU Latin American Studies Program

Michael Youn

Michael Yohn

Created in 1962 the Latin American Studies Program provides students with opportunities to study and experience Latin America and the Caribbean.  To this end the program sponsored a series of seminars regarding the control and use of the Panama Canal in 1977. Experts attending the spring conference included Michael Yohn of the Bureau of Inter-American Affairs pictured here along with his colleague Lauralee Peters,  Eric Baklanoff of the University of Alabama, Alvaro Garcia-Pena an international business consultant from Washington, DC, Robert Dowland of the Department of Commerce and WKU’s Kenneth Cann.Panama Canal Logo

Edgar Stansbury

 

Edgar Stansbury

Edgar Stansbury

Edgar Bryant Stansbury, son of Emmet and Mable Stansbury was born 1906 in Corbin, Kentucky. He attended Shepherdsville high school and came to WKU in 1926 where he played basketball and football. Upon graduation Ed coached in Greenville and Lancaster, Kentucky high schools, married and attended Peabody where he received his master’s degree. Returning to WKU in 1935 Stansbury became assistant coach to E.A. Diddle. After World War II he returned briefly as athletic director in 1946-1947. Stansbury returned to the air force in 1947 and later worked for Honeywell. A lifelong WKU supporter, he died in Largo, Florida in 2009 at the age of 103.

He left his personal papers and photographs to WKU Archives.  This is a photo of Ed Stansbury aboard the Regent Sun touring the Panama Canal in 1988.  He and his wife Edith enjoyed many cruises during their retirement years.Panama Canal Logo

What We Did Over Summer Vacation

Summer is quickly drawing to a close and thanks to our student worker Jack, we have quite a lot to show for our summer.  He has been diligently scanning scrapbooks, photographs, negatives and original documents.  Here’s a taste of some of the new old items now available on TopScholar.

1980 WKU Football Scrapbook

Bowling Green Business University Scrapbook

College Heights Herald, Vol. 54, Nos. 1-21 [the remaining numbers will be available soon]

College High Basketball Scrapbook 1946-47

Concerns Presented by Faculty Senate

Cook Twins Scrapbook

The Fourth Estate, Sigma Delta Chi publication

Gary Ransdell Installation negatives

Kelly Thompson Chapter, Public Relations Student Society of America records

Lady Toppers Basketball Press Releases, 1992-93

Phi Alpha Theta Petition

Progress Report of the Faculty Participation Committee

ROTC 1942 Notes

Stickles History Club Minute Books, 1924-1957

University Senate – Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Vietnam Moratorium Correspondence

Voices, publication of the Western Writers group

Western Players Scrapbooks 1934-1960

WKU Advertising Club newsletters

Thank you, Jack!

WKU’s pool (built in 1931) was open to the public from 5:30 – 6:30 pm for $.15 per visit

wkupoolDate Built – 1931

Architects – Brinton Davis

Contractor – J.U. Schickli Construction Company

History: The pool was adjacent to the Health & Physical Education Building now known as Helm Library on the site of the current Cravens Graduate Center & Library. “It was located in a lovely spot, although the overhanging trees created a problem in keeping the pool clean. Used for both classes and recreation, the pool was reserved during the 5:30-6:30 hour for the Bowling Green public. Admission was fifteen cents with discounts ranging up to twenty swims for two dollars when payment was made in advance. ‘A warm soap bath,’ ‘regulation cotton suits,’ and rubber caps were required. ‘Spitting, blowing the nose, spouting water are forbidden.’” [Harrison, p. 102]

The pool was heated and had underwater lighting. It was 60′ x 120′ in size and the depth ranged from 3 to 7 feet. The pool was removed in preparation for the construction of Cravens Graduate Center & Library in 1970.